Saturday, January 2, 2016

Beauty Beginners | How To Contour & Highlight

So we've all seen those photos on Facebook & Instagram, usually of Kim K, with faces covered in concealer & bronzer during the "contouring process".  No doubt, it's super intimidating!  Truth be told, unless you're going to the Met Ball, all of that really isn't necessary.  In this post I'm going to share some of my own tips & tricks that I use to contour my face.  

What is contouring??
  Overall, contouring is just a way to make your face appear thinner while highlighting to accentuate specific parts of your face.  Typically highlighting your eyebrow bone, cheekbone, or nose.  Done the right way contouring can make your nose appear smaller or your cheek bones appear higher.  

What products do you use to contour??
BRONZERS::
Bronzer is what you use to contour..  You can use powder or liquid.  Liquid bronzer is usually used for that more dramatic and chiseled look.  Personally, I prefer powder bronzers.  There's 2 types of powder bronzers you can use, matte and shimmer.  
Shimmer bronzers can be added all over in the hallows of the cheeks to make them pop as well as the temples, but matte bronzers should be used more sparingly and concentrated in specific areas.  It's important that you find a bronzer with more of a brown or golden undetone, NOT orange.  We aren't auditioning for Willy Wonka.  ;-) lol

HIGHLIGHTERS::
Highlighters are usually a shimmering powder used on cheekbones, eyebrow bones, as well as the cupid's bow (the arch of the top lip).  However, you can also highlight other areas such as your under eyes, forehead, and bridge of the nose with a liquid concealer.
To highlight with a liquid concealer, you want to pick one that's 1-2 shades lighter than your skin/ foundation.  

Some of my go to products when contouring.
(All items will be listed below with links and info on how I use them.)



Now let's get to the good stuff....

How To Highlight & Contour:: 



On the left is the areas you want to apply your bronzer. 
 For cheekbones, start at the arch of your ear on the side of your face and go at a downward angle toward your mouth.  I go downward until it's aligned with the outside corner of my eye and blend it in well for more of a natural look.  
For temples, go over both sides of your four head (or 5 head if you're like me) hairline to about an inch above the eyebrows and then lightly across the top of your four head at your hairline.  
I don't contour my nose, but if you choose to you'll want to put a thin line of bronzer down each side of the bridge of your nose (I suggest liquid or matte).
Throughout Summer time, I only used a shimmer bronzer.  It really looks fab with a tan, and I apply it with the small powder brush pictured above.  It's perfect for shimmer bronzer because it's dense and doesn't pick up a ton of product so there's very little risk of accidentally looking muddy.  
Who wants a mud pie on their face, right?? 
Matte bronzer I apply with my Real Techniques sculpting brush and concentrate it right in the hallows of my cheeks.  Starting at the top of my ear applying in a downward angle towards my mouth.  
If you're feeling bold and want to use both matte and shimmer, I suggest applying the matte first and then shimmer on top.  


On the right is the areas you want to apply your concealer and/ or highlighter.  
I apply concealer under my eyes, middle of my 5 head above but between the brows, and sometimes down the bridge of my nose if I'm feeling frisky.  
I use a damp Real Techniques blending sponge to blend my concealer.  It gives a more even airbrushed look.  
Then I highlight my cheek bones with either my NYX illuminator or my Hard Candy bronzer in Tiki.  Sometimes both, again, If I'm feeling frisky.  Lol.  Sometimes I'll use a liquid illuminator and then a powder one on top.  (Never do liquid on top of powder.)
(Ps.  No clue why the Hard Candy one is classified as a bronzer.  It's definitely a highlighter. lol)
Highlighter I apply with the small angled brush pictured above.  


Shew!!  I think that's all.. Let me catch a breath now.  
I hope this helps anyone struggling with the world of contouring..  Remember, less is more... Unless we're talking about cheekbone highlight... In that case, bathe yourself in that shit!  :-)  

Til next next time, y'all!
XO

Connect With Me::


Products Mentioned:

Real Techniques Sculpting Brush  (Ulta, Walmart, or Kohl's)
Essence of Beauty Small Powder Brush (CVS travel brush set)
Essence of Beauty Small Angled Brush (CVS travel brush set)
Real Techniques Complexion Sponge (Ulta, Walmart, or Kohl's)
Maybelline FaceStudio Master Fix Conceal in 10 Fair (CVS, Rite Aid, Target, Walmart, or Ulta)
Garnier Skin Renew Dark Circle Roller (CVS, Rite Aid, Target, Walmart, or Ulta)
Revlon PhotoReady SkinLights in 100 Bare Light (CVS, Target, Rite Aid, or Walmart)
Hard Candy Bronzer in Tiki (Walmart)




-Special thanks to Trusper who provided the awesome contour sheet!  







No comments:

Post a Comment